Certain types of family law orders can be modified when the circumstances of one or more person involved change significantly. If you want to modify an order, you need to consult with a family law attorney for assistance.

Understanding Modifications

Family law orders, such as child support, custody and spousal support arrangements, are typically established based on the circumstances of everyone involved at the time. If these circumstances change, the court may consider changing the order in response. For example, child custody orders usually depend on the home environment provided by each parent, the parents’ work schedules, the preferences of the child and other factors. If any of these factors change, you can petition the court to alter the order. Likewise, if financial circumstances change, you may be able to modify spousal support or child support orders. In some cases, you may even be able to negotiate a modification with the other party outside of court.

Pursuing a Modification

If your circumstances have changed and you want to modify an existing custody or support order, consulting with an experienced family law attorney is highly recommended. A qualified attorney will be able to review your original order, evaluate the circumstances that have changed and help you decide on the best course of action. Your attorney will also be able to help you negotiate with the other party and/or pursue your desired modification in court if necessary.

If you need to modify an existing child support, spousal support or child custody order, please contact us to schedule a consultation with a family law attorney or to learn more about pursuing a modification. 503-542-7432.